The application period for 2017 scholarships has ended.
The Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation has two Scholarship Programs: the Joe Rudd Scholarships, established in 1979 in honor of a prominent natural resources attorney in Alaska; and the RMMLF Scholarships, established in 1993. One RMMLF Scholarship award is the David P. Phillips Scholarship, named in honor of the Foundation’s Executive Director who retired in 2012 after leading the Foundation for 42 years.
To date, 486 scholarships have been awarded, totaling over $2.5 million.
A law student who is enrolled full time at one of the Foundation’s Constituent Law Schools and can demonstrate a commitment to the study of natural resources law is eligible to apply. LLM students and incoming 1Ls who have applied to one of these schools but have not yet been accepted may also apply.
Scholarships for fall 2017, spring 2018, or full-year 2017-2018 may cover partial or full tuition. Recent awards have ranged from $1,000 to $9,000. Tuition scholarships must be used at, and will be paid directly to, one of the Constituent Law Schools.
Applications are evaluated and awards are made by the Foundation’s Scholarships Committee according to the following criteria:
- Potential to make a significant contribution to the field of natural resources law
- Academic ability
- Leadership ability
- Year in law school
- Financial need
Download the application form (in Word or PDF format). Please email the complete application form and supporting documents to email@example.com.
The completed application form and supporting documents must be received by February 28, 2017 (JD students) and March 15, 2017 (LLM students).
2016-2017 Scholarship Recipients
Joe Rudd Scholarship Awards*
- Katherine Grosskopf, Southern Methodist University
- James Owen, University of Utah
RMMLF Scholarship Awards*
- Micah Adkison, University of Oklahoma
- Solomon Amoateng, University of Alberta
- Kathryn Brinton, Brigham Young University
- Laura Callanan, University of New Mexico**
- Micah Christensen, University of Wyoming
- Robert Denzer, University of Houston
- Jarrod Gamble, University of Oklahoma
- Richard Gardner, University of Calgery
- Mia Hammersley, University of Arizona
- Jacqueline Hyatt, University of Houston
- Maresa Jenson, University of Montana
- Joshua Johnson, University of Utah
- Kerri Krawchuk, University of Alberta
- Brett Kvasnicka, Washburn University
- Brendan Lenihan, University of Arizona
- Melissa Magee, University of New Mexico
- Tanis Makowsky, University of Calgary
- Colin McKenzie, University of New Mexico
- Clare Miller, University of Colorado
- Corey Moomaw, Washburn University
- Oscar Negrete Reveles, University of Texas
- James Owen, University of Utah
- Brady Pelton, University of North Dakota
- Aaron Powell, Texas Tech University
- Megan Romano, University of Wyoming
- Katherine Saunders, University of California-Davis
- Kathryn Sawyer, University of Tulsa
- Kirsa Shelkey, University of Montana
- Valerie Simion, University of Calgary
- Steven Taylor, Southern Methodist University
- Adam Teel, Washburn University
- Jennie Trefren, University of Wyoming
- Kelsey Trom, University of Houston
- Hayden Weaver, Brigham Young University
- Nawzad Yasin, Southern Methodist University
* These tuition scholarships are awarded to students currently enrolled at RMMLF Constituent Law Schools, and are paid directly to the schools.
** David P. Phillips Scholarship Award
The Foundation congratulates the awardees and thanks all of the applicants for their interest and efforts!
If you would like to support and/or learn more about the Foundation and its programs, contact the Foundation at 303-321-8100 or firstname.lastname@example.org